Sunday, January 21, 2024

My Top 5 News Sources

 Instagram

From my standpoint, the most convenient of news sources, Instagram grabs my number one seat for my most influential news source. Growing up in the decade I have, Instagram has been there for the ride. It started as a casual tool I used to peel back the curtain on the lives of those around me but as the platform evolved over the years it has transformed my availability to see the world. Instagram grew from the platform used by teenagers to one used by world leaders and journalist alike to share their insight into politics, economics, and the challenges of life. These individuals that were previously forced to convey their viewpoints through censored platforms were now given additional freedom to share their opinions on their own terms. This idea of sharing your ideas, your opinions, and expressing one's creativity served as the basis for the next big thing in the way I get my news on Instagram, that is through the "influencer". This term "influencer" refers to those on Instagram who have no formal journalism experience but comment on all things from their opinion on how to live a great life to the war in the Middle East. I especially appreciate their commentary because of their unprofessional diction and often opposing viewpoint that can allow me to see issues from a different perspective. In a world inundated with stuffy news castors, Instagram's appeal comes from their casual nature. It is news about anything and from anywhere, no matter how minute the issue might be. 



The Today Show


While news on the go is an important aspect to the fast paced lives of many. When I myself have a few more minutes to sit down and watch a morning news cast, the Today Show, is my news source of choice. The Today Show has blended the lines of social pop culture and important world events into four separate hourlong chunks. Separating their new cast into four distinct yet similar back to back broadcasts gives viewers the option to tune in when they can and resume at another point in the 7 to 11am broadcast. For those like myself, with limited time in this morning this convince is greatly appreciated. Each hourlong segment is hosted by a panel of individuals whose laidback attitude is appealing in the wee hours of the morning. As a unit they have an ability to connect with their audiences, while educating them on the events to come and those that have passed. 


Nightly News with Lester Holt

While I enjoy the calm and casual setting of the Today Show in the morning, I desire a more earnest news source for my nightly news. Several years ago, I came across the NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt broadcast and was delighted with his candor. The 30-minute broadcast is comprised of multiple quick segments dedicated to the most serious news of the day from around the world. This glimpse into the most serious news from around the world gives viewers a chance to comprehend the world they live in, and the detailed reports provides clarity that other short segments often excludes. These stories are further enjoyed because of the sole anchor, Lester Holts unopinionated remarks. As Holt introduces or describes the news stories he is presenting he keeps his personal views separate, reporting on the facts of the case and nothing more. I view this as a greatly appreciated service as I wish to discover my own opinions on the matters at hand and eliminate any partisan bias. 


MarketWatch

When times call for news pointed at the financial aspects of life, there is no new source I turn to other than the online platform MarketWatch. MarketWatch is a Dow Jones company that focuses on reporting the trials and tribulations of the US and international stock markets. The reports are generated by financial analysts much more skilled to deliver the commentary they provide as compared to the typical news anchor. The platform shines to an even higher level as it combines its ability to relay news to its audience with real time market tracking and watchlists. This allows for readers to seamlessly switch between the financial news they desire and the current market updates they need to make a trade. The platform's ability to combine both aspects saves time for the avid trader or businessman. For investors that are new to the game, MarketWatch has created a section of their site dedicated to their needs. The "How To Invest" section is jam packed with quick, descriptive articles on the best ways to break into the markets. It is within this section that the site offers an email sign up, where the reader can subscribe for daily guidance that corresponds to the current state of the markets. MarketWatch has become the all around news source and tool for financial literacy in today's age. 


BioWorld

As important as world political and economic news is, as a pharmaceutical consultant, I am always refreshing my education on new and upcoming medical treatments and devices. In order to receive this type of news I have always turned to BioWorld, an online forum co-founded by a former pharmaceutical scientist. This type of news is critical to my role, as being knowledgeable on the most recent discoveries and their outcomes allowed me to deliver the best services the pharmaceutical companies I work with. With the many necessary details that are required in the pharmaceutical industry, BioWorld captures the balanced mixture of scientific jargon and reporter commentary on the effects of the discovery or treatment. This allows for anyone in the industry to collect the idea of a complex issue in a matter of minutes. This is incredibly helpful when the reader is unfamiliar with select scientific or medial topics but needs to comprehend the discoveries at hand. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Transhumanism in the Modern World

      Imagine living in a world where our thoughts were only validated as data points that are used as means to an end. Where our bodies had...